"What are you thinking of selling, girls?"
"Stuff from my room. Old CD's and some other things."
{I walk away and ball in my stomach starts to form}
This sort of situation throws me into complete confusion. What I want to say is, "Really? You think anyone will buy a used CD? How many people are going to be driving by midday? How many people will be driving by wanting used CD's?"
I want to be encouraging. I want my kiddos to be dreamers. I want my kids to be inspired. I want my kids to be "doers." I want them to be creative. I want them to have goals and strive for the unimaginable.
I don't want to squash their ideas.
But I also want them to be realists. I don't want them to be let down even though I know it's necessary for growth. I'm not that mom who says, "You want to sell stuff? AWESOME! What a creative idea."
or (such a powerful two letter word. it can change any circumstance.)
"Let's go for it! You can do ANYTHING you set your mind to."
I have hesitation. It's that tough line in parenting that you waiver on what you should do and what you shouldn't do.
I walked out of the room and went straight to J. He affirmed that I'm not a Debbie Downer, just a realist. His words were actually, "What?! You've got to tell them they can't do that. Why not lemonade?"
So, I walked back into the playroom with a suggestion. A suggestion that if it'd stood by itself, I probably would have shut down. But desperate times call for desperate measures. So, a
LEMONADE STAND was in progress...
The girls immediately began making signage. A cute banner and several signs for the hood.
When artwork was complete, they asked to post the signs right away--before even making the lemonade!
Obviously this called for a discussion. We talked about marketing, production, sales and overhead. We also talked about not rushing through production just to get immediate gratification.
Good times.
I suggested they make a list. I know, no surprise there.
Their list was precise-
- signs
- lemonade
- cups
- money
- tablecloth
- ice
Money was counted. Decor was set in place. Signs were posted. Matching outfits were put on, Uggs included.
So they sat.
And sat.
And sat.
Thankfully we have generous neighbors and supportive brothers. Generous neighbors who like refills, too.
After an hour their spirits were down. The lemonade jug was almost gone.
They'd made $3.30.
The girls decided that their profit was going to be for a Starbucks fund. A fund they can tap into after purchasing cups for NEXT TIME.
Yep, next time. Apparently, their spirits were not totally squashed.
I think our next discussion will have to be how to boost sales.
| B counting his pretend money to make a purchase. |
![]() |
| They wouldn't accept plastic but they would accept fake coins. |
| KK & KK's Lemonade Stand |
******

3 comments:
Yay for small business! :)
The 9 year old I take care of has had great success making a sign she can spin to attract business to her lemonade stand.... They are so cute!
annie once set up a "stand" at the end of our driveway
she tried selling an old book, and a box of tissues
only the tissues were gone
so...and empty box, really
and we live on a dead end
no traffic
Post a Comment