Our kiddos are on spring break...yippee!
Late nights without homework, no rushing out the door and not having to spend 1/2 my day in the car--makes me wonder who loves spring break more..me or them?I love when the kids are not in school because of the lack of schedule and routine.
Well, I say that but I'm not sure that's necessarily true.
I mean, I have to plan for three meals home every day. I'm not packing lunches but I am still making food.I have to plan for entertainment of some sort. Whether it be crafting, outside play or chores, it involves some organization on my part.
Careful coordination in making sure each kiddo gets ample friend time...and one of my kiddos wants this every day. He is the kiddo that I will hear "I am bored" from most often. He will also be the kiddo who ends up doing more chores...
One summer I had a spinning BOARD and every time someone said they were BORED they had to spin the wheel to determine what would replace the feeling of boredom (games, outdoor time, clean, read, art project). That one unwanted piece of the pie that said CLEAN usually limited the phrase "I'm bored" altogether. What's funny is now I have a kiddo who loves to clean, his wheel would be a challenge.
Anyways, maybe it's not the lack of schedule and routine, its just that it's MY schedule and routine, on my time. Selfish, I guess. I decide what we're going to do, if we're going to do something and when. I am also very aware that these days are numbered. So,selfishly I relish these days.
With the kiddos home and two growing boys, I best be armed.
Armed with a lot of food and snacks.
Below are some of their favorites and a few I've been eager to try.
Would love your feedback if you alter anything and find them to taste even more delicious.
No Bake Energy Bites
(makes 18-20 bites, depending on size.)
We like big balls.
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup sunflower butter
1/3 cup agave
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls. Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
We've used good ol' peanut butter, honey, craisins, raisins, butterscotch chips and vanilla chips. The recipe above has been our favorite concoction so far.
original recipe found here.
Sorry, no pics...last time I made these, they were gone before I could snap a pic.
Baked Kale Chips
Adapted from a bunch of inspiring places1 bunch (about 6 ounces) kale
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (I prefer this brand)
Sea salt, to taste. Shredded parm sprinkled on top is a treat, too.
Preheat oven to 300°F. Rinse and dry the kale, then remove the stems and tough center ribs. Cut into large pieces, toss with olive oil in a bowl then sprinkle with salt. Arrange leaves in a single layer on a large baking sheet-- I lined mine with parchment for easy clean-up. Bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp. Place baking sheet on a rack to cool.
This is spectacular when flaked and sprinkled on top of popcorn.
Granola Bars
2 c oats
1 c brown sugar
¾ c whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
¾ Cup honey
Any dried fruit, nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, etc.
I usually sneak in flaxseed.
Mix all ingredients and press into greased pan, 11 X 13. Dough will be very dry and crumbly, but press until dough forms with pan. Bake at 325 for 20 minutes or until edges are browned. Take out and let cool entirely. Cut into strips and store in snack size bags.
Cinnamon Sugar Almonds
1 cup sugar
3 cups raw almonds (or any other nut)
1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup water
Directions: In a large skillet combine the sugar, cinnamon and water. Add the almonds and stir constantly with a spoon over medium heat, coating the almonds with the syrupy mixture. Keep stirring until the sugar crystallizes. Remove the pan from heat and scoop the almonds onto wax or parchment paper. Let the cinnamon almonds cool before serving.
Homemade Fruit Leather
I've got several recipes that I've collected for fruit leather but this one I especially appreciate the guide on the bottom allowing endless possibilities.
Here's to free flowing days and yummy food~
I usually sneak in flaxseed.
Mix all ingredients and press into greased pan, 11 X 13. Dough will be very dry and crumbly, but press until dough forms with pan. Bake at 325 for 20 minutes or until edges are browned. Take out and let cool entirely. Cut into strips and store in snack size bags.
A few we're yet to try but oh so eager...
1 cup sugar
3 cups raw almonds (or any other nut)
1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup water
Directions: In a large skillet combine the sugar, cinnamon and water. Add the almonds and stir constantly with a spoon over medium heat, coating the almonds with the syrupy mixture. Keep stirring until the sugar crystallizes. Remove the pan from heat and scoop the almonds onto wax or parchment paper. Let the cinnamon almonds cool before serving.
Homemade Fruit Leather
I've got several recipes that I've collected for fruit leather but this one I especially appreciate the guide on the bottom allowing endless possibilities.
Here's to free flowing days and yummy food~


5 comments:
Hooray for Spring Break! I'm finally catching up on reading blogs, but haven't dared to catch up on my own!
We love those energy bites around here too. I make the exact same recipe from the exact same blog (small blogosphere world out there). I have also made fruit leather and it was delicious! Not exactly sure where I found the recipe, but it was very time consuming and took a long time to bake at a low temperature. It turned out really yummy though!
Enjoy the break with your kiddos!
As always Michelle, after any amount of time with you, even just a few minutes reading your blog, helps me to want to be a better mom/person. Thank you for the yummy treats! I will be trying those energy things as soon as I pick up some gf oats! I have never had kale before . . . might be trying those soon too. Love you!!
These all sound amazing! I'll have to try them out!
Yummy! I am trying your "big balls" of energy :)
I made the Cinnamon Sugar Almonds for my in-laws as a part of the Christmas package! Awesome! Today I'm make the Baked Kale Chips! Thanks for sharing these awesome recipes....even though it took me forever to actually make them. :)
Post a Comment