11.21.2011

a gift from grandma

A neat thing happened one night this week.
So did a really crappy thing but let's focus on the good.

For the upcoming celebrations, I was preparing to bake & mix up three different frostings.
I was tired, it was very late and I had been in a car accident earlier in the day (crappy thing that happened).
I was out of sorts.
I wanted to go to bed.
Baking and making frosting was the last thing I had energy to do. 
In fact, I was even tempted to go the store bought route (gasp!).

In my kitchen there are several things I'd received from my grandma after she passed.
A small picture is near my flour, a statue of the Blessed Mother in on the shelf & her cookie jar is displayed. We even use some of her daily dishes and glasses. 
Everywhere you look in my kitchen, there is a little memory of my grandma. 
In fact, throughout my entire house there are a lot of items that came from her home.

I like that. 
I especially like that my kiddos know what came from her and that they have special meaning. 
"Mom, are you having another cup of coffee in Grandma Sweetheart's mug?"

I was busy pulling out my ingredients when KK asked me for someones address.
Instead of going to my computer address book I pulled out the old school kind.
Remember, the hand written entries with alphabetical tabs?
Out fell a note.
A note that was written by my grandma years ago that had all the birthday info for her great-grandchildren-including KK's birthday, which was the very next day.
I don't recall how I ended up with the slip of paper nor do I remember seeing it in the past ten years.


My grandma loved to bake and she was known for her baking and desserts.
The cookie jar was always filled on the counter and her large freezer in the basement was stocked well for unexpected guests.
It made me smile to see that just as I was preparing to bake, this happened.
It confirmed the task I was about to tackle and made my heart a bit warmer thinking of her baking & frosting cakes for all her children's birthdays.
Thanks Grandma Sweetheart for the sweet reminder. Miss you.



3 comments:

Yunker said...

Thanks for sharing! Makes me miss my grandmothers. Just this morning, I was looking at a picture of my grandma and me. It was about the time we were living together. Reminds of their wisdom and love they shared with their family.

P.S. I love reading your blogs!

Julie Evans said...

This made mom and I cry. She says, "Yep, she's with us every day. All we have to do is look for her." <3 Love you guys.

-Julie and Mary

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss. Not sure if it's recent since it's been a while. My grandma has been giving me stuff lately. I'm thankful I've been able to spend weeks at a time with her and getting to know her better than ever in recent years. Sorry for all my msgs...I feel like a stalker for not leaving a note. ~X