I will never forget the first time I had the privilege of enjoying scones made by J's Aunt Kim.
We were visiting her family in Northern CA, it was November, it was bitterly cold and I was pregnant.
Most likely I was vomiting and uncomfortable which also means I was probably complaining.
Amidst the frequent bathroom stops and big maternity panties, these scones made an impression.
Remember those big maternity panties? The kind that encompassed 3/4 of your body?
Nowadays there are cute, bikini, lacy styles but back in the day we didn't have choices.
Our parents maybe had to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow but we had to wear big panties.
Anyways, it's the scones we're talking about and these scones are divine.
Hot, chocolaty, soft and filling.
Not too filling like a dessert but filling like, "this constitutes breakfast."
Not too big like my maternity panties, but just the right size to enjoy.
When Aunt Kim first made these for us she said,
"I won't share the recipe. If I do, you won't need me. I want you to come back to my house for more."
Sure, no problem if she didn't live 15 hours away.
Aunt Kim has had a change of heart.
I'm so happy.
You'll be so happy, too.
In fact her words to me last week were, "sharing the good things in life is nice."
Big panties aside, Aunt Kim is nice and these scones are nice.
Simple. Sweet.
I usually make a double batch because, "sharing the good things in life is nice."
Aunt Kim's Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 c. flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 c. mini chocolate chips
- 1 T. butter, melted
Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
Add cream and chocolate chips (don't even think about the regular sized morsels, mini is the way to go).
Combine with a fork then knead by hand.
Roll out on a floured surface in a 10 inch circle. Cut into wedges.
Melt butter and brush on scones, sprinkle lightly with sugar.
Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes.


No comments:
Post a Comment