I remember the nerves I felt as we stepped onto campus for the first time. KK was excited....I was, too! I fell in love with the campus the first time I toured. I was eager to have her in an environment that encouraged play. I remember the exact moment in the tour when the deal was sealed, so to speak. On one of the classroom doors was a poster created by a favorite college professor of mine. Dr. Sandra Stone encouraged the idea of play in the classroom. Years before I had my own children, I was convinced of it's importance in the classroom. It was reassuring to see her artwork displayed proudly on their walls. I knew it was where we were supposed to be. And so together, hand in hand, we started the chapter of preschool.
We've met a lot of different families. Families who parent similarly. Families who parent differently. Families we've learned from by example. Families who have been encouraging and insightful. Friendships have formed in unity of our children's friendships. I learned, by watching, who was heading to yoga right after drop off, who was hustling off to the office, who had had a rough night of sleep, who was pregnant yet again, who was searching for friendship and most evident, who was leaving their first born and who was dropping their last.
After KK phased out, C and my nephew started class together. It was a Mommy and Me class, which meant it was me, my sis and our boys. One huge blessing to our kiddos is the fact they've been in school together. B and his cousin spend 5 days a week together and still can't get enough of each other.
This week B came home with the following note. The perfect example of our school family. The note is from a classmates grandparents who volunteered weekly. I found it to be the coolest thing ever.
We had numerous first days...
We nourished wonderful friendships, some that have lasted over 10 years. And when I say "we," I mean we. I, too, have developed friendships. Friendships that are simply for play-dates and some that will last a lifetime.
We've been greeted by cousins, hugged by teachers and developed our independence. And again, I emphasis the word "we." There were a handful of gut wrenching days that our kiddos were in tears at drop off, only to be embraced by their teachers who told us to "go, it'll be ok." See, I had to develop my independence, too.
We've attended water days...field-trips to the zoo...been entertained by performing groups and ridden the city bus over and over. We've had Daddy's and Donuts, Mother's Day Teas and Grandparents Day shin digs, to mention a few.
We started KK in Daisy's with her preschool friends, meeting several Saturdays in the classroom. The meetings always ended by a quick ride on the tire swing in the big oak tree or begging to stay just so she could make "one more chocolate river" with the hose and sand.
Most importantly as we leave we've learned:
- mud is made to be jumped in
- there are not enough beads in the world to complete my jewelry box
- masterpieces can be made from wood, carpet and toilet paper rolls
- glitter is a requirement...and looks especially dazzling all over the car
- kids will eat anything they plant or cook
- people are patient with each other
- the gift of redirection, rewording and reinforcement
- my china cabinet is filled with the "finest" of china...children's artwork
- we all learn through play
- we "can do hard things"
- to accept others
- the importance of greeting others
- shoes must be dumped of sand before entering the house
- and chocolate rivers flow on...
And while my kiddos may not understand the tear in my eye, they do know they were loved and that their school was one of the greatest gifts they've been given. "Adios amigos, good bye, our friends..."
*thank you, Nana and Papa







4 comments:
I too was a Desert Sun mom for many years; my oldest son Colin began the tradition and Cailley finished it up in Kindergarten 15 years later... Desert Sun is part of my life forever, and I still sing Adios Amigos every day in my own preschool classroom, where we learn through play and our connections with each other. I'm so grateful for what I learned at Desert Sun from the best teachers anywhere, and I hope I'm able to share a piece of DS with my own students. My daughter just graduated cum laude from ASU last night, and in many ways I know her success is at least in part due to the amazing start she got from her teachers at DS. Thank you for posting such an accurate depiction of my favorite school in the world!
Barbie Formichella
Yesterday was our last day at Desert Sun, too, and it's incredibly hard to say goodbye! You summarized everything in my heart and mind beautifully.
Gosh, this made me tear up! What a sweet walk down memory lane. Love it!
wahhhhhhhhhhh. I'm seriously faklempt.
~nellie
Post a Comment