2.07.2013

how 'bout them apples?

Last weekend had a couple of highlights. I like weekends like that, the kind you look back on and say, "Ok Monday, you can arrive now." One highlight being a fun Superbowl Party with glutenous food and excitement. Also, the kids all had play dates, slumber parties and baseball practice. I managed to finish a book. Another highlight was an improvised surprise, an Apple Crostata. Or as B called it, an "Apple Tostada." Because it was improvised, I wasn't prepared to take good food pictures. What you see is what you get, my apologies. Trust me, the pictures don't do it justice. Just imagine how delicious our house smelled...

I'd made Picky Palate's Ranchero Mexi-Chicken Crostada for dinner. Her simple dish calls for nothing but the best---Pillsbury pie crust! I know, I know...I don't make my crust homemade. I've tried and quite honestly, I don't like it. So, why try? Her recipe calls for 1 pie crust, leaving 1 all by it's lonesome. We don't like anyone to feel lonely in this house so we used her up. I had a plethora of apples from our co-op this weekend so putting two and two together equals dessert. (That is MY kind of math!)

Along with my pie crust, I grabbed the following ingredients. The only item missing is the two pieces of caramel candy I diced to add on top.


First, I peeled and diced a few apples, maybe three or four, and added them to a bowl.
Then I added roughly 1/2 cup of white sugar.
I estimated 1/4 cup of brown sugar to be added also. Just in case it wasn't sweet enough. 


For good measure I added 4 tsp. of cornstarch.
Because cornstarch is boring, I added 2 generous tsp. of cinnamon.
I like several flavors in my apple desserts so I added 1/2 tsp of my sisters homemade vanilla.


Then I found the cutest available sous chef. Ok, maybe not the cutest but the only one who didn't complain or give me an eye roll. Some-days are easier than others when searching out a kiddo like that.
 

Then I piled the mixed up goodness on top of that no longer lonely pie crust.
Be sure to scrap the bowl, you don't want to miss any of the gooey sauce.
I may or may not have licked that spoon.


I then cut up 2 TBS of butter and placed in on top of the apple mixture.
I diced up two pieces of caramel also.
Ya know, just in case, it's wasn't sweet enough.
 

I folded up the sides to create a "crust."
I brushed a little butter on that crust.
And again, in case it wasn't sweet enough, I sprinkled that crust with a little sugar.


To protect that sweet baby, as all good mothers do, I covered her up. I didn't want her burnt.
I put it in a 400 degree oven and baked her to perfection.
I didn't really watch the time but it's safe to say it'll bake in 30 minutes or so.


Again, like a good mother, keep an eye on her.
I did remove her protective gear the last 10 minutes of baking.
At this time, my house smelled heavenly and I had 4 boys salivating on my kitchen floor.


I did make one mistake and apparently it was a very big one. Not sure I'm forgiven yet.
I didn't have ice cream or whipped cream available to help dress her up.
So, before you make this-check your ingredients list and make sure ice cream is right up there with processed pie crust and those two pieces of caramel.

Enjoy~

p.s. It's supposed to be a chilly weekend.
Chilly weekends are perfect for surprise apple tostadas with ice cream.
Or so I've been told.

No comments: