1.10.2012

oldies but goodies, ole!

 



As often is the case after spending time with a friend, a recipe exchange occurs shortly there after. Do you find this strange? If not, let's get together for lunch soon. I'd like some new recipes. If this is foreign to you, welcome to my world. 
I was with a friend this weekend and of course, we talked about food. By the end of our time together, I believe at least two recipes were headed towards the outbox. 
These are two of our all time favorites. The soup was a staple before we had kiddos and we were both "working professionals". Ya know, cause now I don't work. And apparently, I'm not professional.
Now let me tell you about the second recipe...it is delicious. It was also given to me under top secret orders. I will not mention WHO gave it to me, WHAT restaurant it is from (if you know me, keep your lips sealed) or HOW I ended up with it.... Just know this, it is so worth making. I serve it not only as a salad dressing but drizzled over chicken or my kiddos favorite, salmon. 

I  just eat it by the spoonful.


Chicken Tortilla Soup

  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, diced
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, or bottled
  • 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic or 2 minced cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz each) fat free chicken broth (I prefer organic Better than Bouillon, from Costco)
  • 1 cup bottled salsa, heat depending on your taste buds
  • 1 cup frozen cor, or canned
  • 1 cup black beans, drained
  • 1 avocado diced
  • tortilla strips or broken up chips
  • shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro
*optional, sometimes on night two of this, I'll add a handful of rice and put it in tortillas.


1. Cook chicken in EVOO. Add onions, lime juice, garlic, chili powder and cumin to the pot. Cook for 2 mins.
2. Add the broth, salsa, corn and beans. Stir to mix. Cover the pot and bring the broth to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium high and continue to boil 8-10 mins.
3. When serving, add toppings to your liking such as cheese, sour cream, avocado or cilantro.

Cilantro Lime Dressing

Put all the following ingredients, except the oil,  in a food processor. Slowly, drizzle in the oil until all ingredients are finely chopped.  Can be refrigerated for 1 week. The salad I typically serve this with is chopped romaine, topped with grilled chicken, corn, black beans, tomatoes, avocados and cheese.

  • 6 ounces cilantro
  • 2 cups canola oil
  • 4 ounces lime juice, fresh is best
  • 2 ounces lemon juice, "  "
  • 8 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 a yellow onion
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

and to my sweet friend who wanted the recipes,
happy 1st year of motherhood to you.

3 comments:

Laura said...

yum!! I make something similar in the crock pot. so good.

Lets get together...I need new dinner ideas

Laura said...

yum!! I make something similar in the crock pot. so good.

Lets get together...I need new dinner ideas

Paula said...

Michelle, you are such a precious gem to me . . . you shine so brightly! I can only imagine how brightly you shine for other's too, especially Jesus! Love you! And, thanks for the recipes!