10.25.2011

retail therapy or self help?

KK and I recently had a scheduled "date day." She chose to go shopping for our date.  We like to go shop at a lot of the same stores--home decor being our favorite. So, needless to say, I look forward to our outings.

A perfect day for me would include Target, Pier One, Home Goods and lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant.  The perfect day for her would include the previously mentioned stops AND Bath & Body Works, Charming Charlie's or Justice.  To conclude our perfect date, dinner would be followed by a stop at our corner yogurt shop.

This day in particular we went to B & B Works, because, well, you can't ever have enough body spray, right? I love going into the store with her. She fills up with confidence and independence when approaching the doors.  As soon as we enter she immediately smiles and says, "Mom, someday I want to work here. This must be what heaven smells like."



She walks off by herself, sniffing and smelling, rubbing and washing, testing every sample available.  I keep an eye on her as I frolic around myself.  It's guaranteed that she will approach the overly friendly sales associate with a question about a specific product. Sometimes it's about a discontinued line or a new scent about to be introduced...because, well, she's in the know since signing up for the mailing list.  In watching her, it's not so much the question that she's wanting answered but the fact that she is conversing with the salesperson in her own conversation. She so maturely asks her question, waits for the response, then gleefully says, "Thanks so much."   (Walks away smiling...)

After thirty minutes or so -long enough to get a headache from all the aromas- she'll ask one more question to the same smiling woman. Then we're she's ready to check out. She walks up to the checkout counter by herself,  blue jean purse slung over her shoulder, situating herself in line behind others. Another customer approaches and asks me, "Are you in line?" I reply, "No, my daughter is."  (Smile appears again.)

I watch the conversation between KK and the clerk go back and forth--both with smiles and a sweet head nod. Something about finding everything she "needs," signing up for the mailing list (check) and handing her a coupon for her next visit. Why with another coupon, we must return, right?
She has a bounce in her step as she carries out her blue bag and receipt. Oh, those receipts are a collection in themselves. She smiles as we leave the store and says, "Mom, I feel so mature buying my own stuff."

I know, I know, it's not a "thing" that makes us important or find self worth. I recognize it as being more than the 3 ounce bottle in her bag. I believe it's in the actual experience, as mentioned, the maturity, the confidence and independence.  I also recognize it's not just her who walks away with confidence and independence. Humbly, I feel it myself. I feel a bit of confidence in raising a daughter who is independent enough to sought out another adult, to inquire and to take charge of her adventures and finances.

I write this without boasting as I can guarantee if I were shopping with my other children the experience would lend itself to different feelings and outcomes. For now, I'll gladly spend date day shopping with my girl.


2 comments:

Theresa said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

wow, she sounds so grown up now! =( ~X