2.21.2014

"don't say anything at all" and other mom-isms

Growing up my mom always told me, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." That pretty much sums up my lack of blogging lately.

But if I were to have blogged recently, you'd of heard about...

The lame forecast. "No rain in the near or distance future and expect above normal temperatures."
I cussed at the weather girl. Then I walked into the grocery store and saw this horrible joke.



We spent Presidents' Day working on science boards.  I wish it were always this peaceful. Instead I keep eye on the clock, purchase needed materials and "gently" remind them to keep up on the work-don't get me wrong, we don't do the projects for them. It'd be so much easier if we did, tho!


This is more realistic. We've successfully got two 75% (thanks to my dad) done and have one to go.  Can I get an amen?

photo credit: Susan Messin




We celebrated the birth of his guy last week. For a month, I'm two years older. I'm always happy on his birthday when it becomes one year. 39 and mighty fine.


And we celebrated Valentines Day, too. Fondue and friends and this hysterical card.

We attended attempted a baseball game last weekend. Only some of "them" survived. I bailed early because of the blazin' sun, grabbed an iced tea and headed home.


Speaking of hot...KK ended her volleyball season on fire! We are so, so proud of her and really enjoying watching her play. I snapped this pic of J giving her a little pep talk pre-game. Glad I had my camera near.





I started this book last week while on vacation AND finished it the same week. That's a big deal!
Great book, as I'd expected. I'm happy several of my friends are enjoying it, too. Motherhood bound by books, tears and encouragement. I'm thankful for that.



Because we'd pulled the kiddos out of school to go on vacation, there was loads of homework that had to be completed while gone. (Note to self: don't every do that again.) What a challenge I'd set up for myself. KK had a big project due the day we returned so I micro managed the entire time. As she was "working," I sat back and unbeknown to her, snapped these pictures. She even had the audacity to tell me she wished she were home-schooled! Then I showed her the pictures and softly told her there was no way in hell.


The last two weeks have been very challenging.  I'm so sick of hearing my voice, I'm sick of repetition, I'm sick of whining and disobedience. Again another "mom-ism," from my mom- "This too shall pass."

This picture has helped with the passing. Is that weird?


I've glanced at several times to help me escape momentarily-secretly wishing I were that woman. This image was taken by Drew Kelly. The symmetry, the contrast of light, the reflection and the image of solitude are so beautiful to me.  It reminds me of a quote I've always loved:

"I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape- the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waiting beneath it, the whole story doesn't show." - Andrew Wyeth

And with a few references to my mom in this post, I find it no coindidence that today is her birthday.
One last mom-ism from Carolina Finkelstein...

"Cheers! First one today, give it a good home.
 Why, thank you.
You're welcome as the flowers in May."



2 comments:

Nicolle said...

That last picture makes me want to pour a glass of wine, asap. Is that bad?! Happy birthday to your mom and to your husband. LOVE that Valentine's day card, and the pep talk picture. I'm ordering that book!

I'm dreading science projects...and summer heat.
xo

Laura said...

ok so you can just keep quiet about all that HEAT.
I am wearing TWO sweatshirts, TWO pairs of socks, a scarf, and flannel pants right now and I am STILL cold.
SO DONE WITH THIS WINTER.

you and your hubby are so darn cute.

AND...almost done with Glitter and Glue...off to finish it up right now...
LOVE it and am crying my way through it.
SO SO SO good.