Phew.
That was exhausting.
I.
Am.
Wiped.
Out.
But my heart is full and I am so thankful.
We've had family in town and have celebrated the past seven days. It has been nonstop fun. So it was no surprise when B woke this morning and said, "What party do we have today?" My response was "A pajama party. All day, kiddo."
Our Christmas was packed full of blessings that started with Christmas Mass. My nephew sang a solo which made our family beam with pride and joy. After Mass both our families celebrated at my in-laws. The kiddos performed their version of the Christmas story while the adults acted as paparazzi. Then the grandpas passed out the numbered PJ's and Santa left his bag of goodness at the door for disbursement.
This picture is my favorite of all the pictures I took.
It shows the true energy of the night.
At 6:30 a.m. on Christmas morning J woke me and said, "Can I wake the kids now?"
Ummm, no.
And then he asked again at 7.
And again at 7:15.
Finally, at 7:30 I let my biggest kid wake the others.
We'd opened up our home to family and served the usual-cheesy potatoes, Grandma Sweetheart's caramel rolls, mimosas and a fruit platter-(ease of guilt factor.) It was a casual morning with the question game, Elf, fetch with George and soaking up the sun.
I'm thankful I wasn't anxious and was able to practice being present over being perfect.
After brunch, we then hustled back to my in-laws for gift opening and the ceremonial polar plunge. This year C joined in the
Again, I'm thankful it wasn't me.
Later afternoon, we headed back home to shower (finally) get out of our PJs and get dressed to head to my sisters. We had missed dinner but arrived just in time for Christmas carols, compliments of my aunt Dori.
For over 15 years our family has enjoyed Christmas day bowling. We had a large group this year which makes it loud and even more fun. This gets better every year as the kids develop their bowling skills and become more competitive.
The following days included sleeping in, a wild Mexican fiesta at our casa, a retirement party for my mom and a football viewing party at our house that ended with the necessary game of pinochle and board games. We had excited fans from four opposing teams, two loud TV's, and trash talk-a typical peaceful Sunday afternoon. Sort of.
The over indulging of food, a cocktail or two, the constant hustling and bustling, late nights that turn into morning with some of my favorite cousins mean I was well armed with Imitrex, coffee and a water bottle.
Again, so thankful.
I am thankful that I was able to text someone I love them and that dinner was at six as per Shauna Niequist's suggestion.
I am most thankful my children understand the true meaning of Christmas. As C stated this morning, "That was the best Christmas ever. I like celebrating Jesus' birthday, especially with all of our fun family."
Today J headed back to work. I am in my new robe, cuddled under a blanket on the couch. One kiddo is making yet another rainbow loomed beauty while another soaks up his new book. And of course, one is sick with a fever because it wouldn't be a magical holiday without a dose of reality.
All is still calm.
And all is still bright.
And I am thankful.







1 comment:
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
I am exhausted reading this!!!!!!!
Love the FAMILY....the love is so strong in these pictures...it is all so awesome.
prayers for a a few quiet moments ...
xoxox
Post a Comment