5.26.2015

May, May, please stay just the way you are.

So I'd been accumulating pictures on this post for the past month. I've uploaded several different times. Just pictures, no words. Apparently today my phone made an executive decision while in my pocket to "post" those said pictures. Just pictures, no words. For those of you who really know me, should've been startled by the lack of words. I mean, I should've had frantic messages from friends, "Are you OK?" " Are you injured?" "Are your fingers broken?"
Instead my mother and aunt texted.
Thanks a lot friends...especially those friends who are asking me to post.

May slapped me upside the head. In my last post, I foolishly thought we were going to prance through it with rosy glasses, bouquets of hydrangeas and scoops of peanut butter chocolate ice cream. Easy peasy and peaceful. While I must say this May was just like all the others...this one was much cooler. Beautiful, in fact. This Spring has been superb. It frightens me just a little for Fall, I'm afraid we'll be swimming in December buuuuuut I like to live in the moment, so 85 degrees, keep on rockin.'


We started our whirlwind May with B's birthday celebration. Doughnuts at 7 a.m. followed by a day with cousins and a huge water slide in the backyard. He had a blast, as he most certainly always does.



B and I spent a lovely afternoon in his classroom for the Mothers Day Tea. He was so proud and happy. He followed the directions given to him by his teacher to greet me with a hug and kiss, followed by serving me cookies and tea and ending with the best hand massage. He had to practice several times before the execution which included warmed hand lotion. He loved being a servant and his smile made it even better. Just as we were leaving, I asked if we could take a picture together. As I snapped the picture, he leaned in to kiss my cheek. I loved that moment.


I had the best Mother's Day. I was fortunate to spend the weekend with some of my girls up North, enjoying a leisurely and chilly weekend. The unexpected May weather was good to us. We had a fire lit all three days. After a much needed, soul filling weekend we all returned home to our families to celebrate Mother's Day. My kids and hubby were prepared with flowers, the sweetest homemade cards and gifts. The icing on the cake was a fully stocked Whole 30 compliant refrigerator. Go hubby!



I canned for the first time. I made cousin Brandon's spicy green beans, specifically intended for Bloody Mary's.


I also made a batch of Grandma Sweetheart's chocolate sauce, specifically intended to be eaten straight from a spoon.



The cooler weather that May surprised us with lead to several evenings of patio happy hours. Oh, how I love to be cuddled under a blanket with stars overhead, laughing with friends and sipping from the finest of plastic ware. We had to take full advantage, even on school nights with early mornings. We only live once.


This is how I woke up one morning recently. Actually, I don't recall sleeping so I can't say this is how I woke up. When I went to bed that evening, I was solo.
9 p.m. child 1 entered.
11 p.m. child 2 entered.
5 a.m. child 3 entered.
6 a.m. I departed.


C had a big school project that took several days of preparation. He and his friend made "Sports Bombs" to be sold at their school market. One hundred and twenty cupcakes balls later...


Thankfully both boys have very generous younger siblings willing to step in and help...well, sort of. Actually even tho B had to sample the sprinkles numerous times, he did awesome at the dipping and frosting.



It was a successful night for them, all the bombs sold and not one returned home to our kitchen. Praise the Lord!



Both boys had cottage fairs that we attended. Cottage Fairs are a favorite night for me. I recognize how much work the kids and teachers put into them. It helps the kids take ownership of their education and hard work. Besides having grandparents attend, the boys were beyond excited to be driven home "safely" in Papa Dan's new car.


We celebrated a beautiful weekend in May as we always do, with numerous first communions and confirmations. This year J sponsored a sweet friend of ours while we also celebrated our niece and nephews big days. We loved celebrating all these kiddos.




While in the midst of celebrating at several parties that weekend, KK was diligently studying for finals. Six big finals, blah. Grades haven't been posted but watching her dedication and commitment mean more to us anyways.  That week we also had her Spring Sports banquet, which quite honestly, we all were down playing. It happened to take place on a day that was beautified with rain and 65 degree weather. We were hard pressed to take off our comfy clothes and dress up. I am so thankful we did tho. Unbeknownst to any of us, KK received the coach's award. The words her coach used to describe her were so heart warming. We were super proud parents. Aside from sports, it means more to me that she earned this based on character. For all the crappy, doubting days of parenthood, those 2 minutes of praise filled my cup.


C wears this jersey weekly. I find it awesome that he'll proudly walk campus sporting his teacher's last name but most of all, I love that it is too big on him. I love that it keeps him looking young. It reminds of when he used to dress up in Star Wars costumes, again, too big. Soon, oh so very soon, nothing will be too big. Everything will fit to size and he'll be a man.


Speaking of men, "like father, like son."

 

Two more days of school and summer will be here. I'm overly excited. Today while all the kiddos were at school, KK helping former teachers while the boys were still learning, I enjoyed my morning coffee alone and a long walk with a friend followed by a massage and lunch with my hubby.

Good bye May, hello long days of summer.




1 comment:

Nicolle said...

Love this post too.
You are one of the most REAL people that I know.
And, can I have the green beans AND the chocolate sauce?! :)
I hope you're doing ok. You've been on my mind!